Wesley Academy is full STEAM ahead! STEAM is an acronym that stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics. STEAM instruction stresses the importance of developing the 21st-century skills students will need to be successful in the workplace. According to The STEM Education Coalition (Stemedcoalition.org), by 2020 the need for workers in STEM fields will increase dramatically. STEAM focused learning integrates multiple areas of study as a reflection of real world problems and situations.
STEAM programs offer the following:
• Engaging inquiry based-student centered learning
• Projects requiring creativity, innovation, critical thinking, and problem solving
• Teamwork and communication skills development
• Application of math and science to real world situations
• Problem solving following the engineering design process
• Integration of the arts in designing solutions to real world issues
Middle School STEAM:
While the philosophy of STEAM education is embedded throughout the classes, students also take a STEAM focused class each quarter.
Elementary and Pre-K 4 STEAM:
Students experience the integration of concepts through project-based learning as well as attend weekly specialty classes in Technology, Art, and Music. The blending of engineering, math, and science is also presented through the STEMscopes science curriculum.